Current Travel Advice for Customers.Click here
Santa Barbara holidays - Vivid, romantic and artistic
Often referred to as the American Riviera, Santa Barbara is colourful blend of bougainvillea, jasmine and hyacinth flowers, white stucco walls and vibrant Mediterranean-style buildings. This area of California really is charming – a picturesque region hugging a beautiful curved bay, lapped by warm waters. The perfect mix of beaches, culture and mountainous scenery means that Santa Barbara has something for everyone. This pretty city is well worth visiting, for more than simply the amazing floral scented walkways and the beaches.
Enjoy the city's pretty aesthetic and quiet lifestyle
There’s a youthful vibe to this city, helped in part by the vast college community, which gives the area a fun ambience. This atmosphere means families will have an amazing time here – there’s plenty to do and kids will love it. Why not take them to the zoo or enjoy splashing around on the beach as a family? There’s a grown-up, sophisticated side to Santa Barbara too; hit the cultural institutions, explore the galleries or seek out the amazing architecture. The nightlife is great, as you’d expect from a city with five colleges in the area, and there’s plenty of shopping to be done. It’s all here waiting to be unearthed on spectacular holidays.
The nearby wineries turn Santa Barbara into an unexpected destination for wine enthusiasts as well, with vast vineyards of sun-kissed fruit transformed locally into delicious wines. The views are sensational and you’ll have the chance to chat to the experts, learning a fact or two along the way. Santa Barbara also plays host to numerous festivals, concerts and events throughout the year, with the beautiful scenery of parks and beaches serving as a picturesque backdrop to the lively activities.
Five reasons to visit Santa Barbara
- It’s a great family destination, with plenty of fun things to see and do for kids and adults alike.
- The weather is typically Californian, so you can expect plenty of sun-filled days in the summer and mild winters.
- As a touring destination, Santa Barbara lends itself well – it’s ideally located just a few hours from many of California’s best locations.
- The Mediterranean vibe and breath-taking scenery add a unique character to this city, setting it apart from other destinations in the state.
- The perfect mix of city and beach; go shopping, dine in great restaurants, then hit the beach or go yachting.