Current Travel Advice for Customers. Click here
Yosemite National Park holidays - Distinctive, breath-taking and serene
Situated in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, Yosemite National Park is a breathtaking combination of pristine landscape, rugged mountains and native wildlife. You can be in the park within hours of leaving such metropolises as Los Angeles and San Francisco – hard to believe when you come face to face with the striking scenery. The landscape varies from 2,000 to 13,000 feet above sea level, so if you’re into rock climbing there are few places as awe-inspiring to do it. Speckled with sequoia-trees, wild bears and glaciers, it really is a sight to behold.
A beautiful and active destination to explore
Yosemite is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and has a wealth of attractions within its mighty perimeters. From Glacier Point to the Happy Isles Nature Centre, Yosemite Falls to the Half Dome, you could spend weeks exploring all that it has to offer. There’s even a beach! The Sentinel Beach runs along the waters of the Merced River and is a popular stop with tourists.
The park is open all year round, with different activities and advantages to each season. If you want to see Yosemite in bloom and when the waterfalls at are their peak then April to early June is the best time. In summer the park receives the majority of its 4 million visitors so if you are coming during this time of the year you should expect very warm temperatures and plan to go hiking to scenic spots, away from the more crowded drive-to vistas. Autumn continues to have warm temperatures during the day making it an ideal time for hiking as well, whereas winter is the calmest time of the year with fewer options for hiking but some of the most beautiful scenery and it’s the only time when you can have Yosemite’s most popular vistas practically all to yourself.
Five reasons to visit Yosemite National Park
- The scenery is by far the biggest draw – it’s outstanding and diverse, from lakes to glaciers, mountain passes and stunning flora
- Outdoor pursuits are, unsurprisingly, fantastic here; choose from skiing, hiking, rock climbing and cycling, to name just a few
- Ideal for families, the park is perfect for memorable family holidays where you can get out in the Californian sunshine and see something different
- Touring opportunities are amazing in Yosemite; you may want to consider an escorted tour to see as many of the park's highlights as possible during your stay
- The wildlife is worth seeking out, whether you're interested in seeing the amazing bird life of peregrine falcons and golden eagles, or if you're on the hunt for a sighting of the mighty bears which call this home