Hotel Alex Johnson
Room Only from £45 per person per night
Steeped in fascinating history, Hotel Alex Johnson is perhaps one of the most interesting hotels you’ll find in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Open since 1928 – a year after work on nearby Mount Rushmore first began – this hotel has a timeless aesthetic that will immerse you back into the 1920’s, with handcrafted décor and its original brick flooring.
This is certainly an historic gem, having once played host to several presidents and celebrities. You’ll step back in time during your stay here, yet still be treated to the utmost comfort and style. From the Traditional Guest Rooms, to the wonderful Presidential Suite, all of the accommodation adopts a cosy and inviting ambience, with hints of historic charm and a few modern amenities.
Venture up to the two top floors and you’ll find Vertex Sky Bar, a trendy and contemporary bar with floor-to-ceiling windows looking out onto unsurpassable views of Rapid City and the Black Hills. Paddy O’Neill’s is a lot of fun too, mixing vibrant Irish charm with classic American feasts. Be sure to grab yourself a hand-dipped chocolate from Chubby Chipmunks too.
Rapid City is a quaint town, with plenty of restaurants and bars to visit. This is a brilliant spot for visiting some of South Dakota’s most incredible attractions – including Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial and Badlands National Park.
Hotel Alex Johnson is located in the charming town of Rapid City, amongst the natural beauty of South Dakota’s Black Hills. The hotel is close by to the town’s best restaurants and bars, and the iconic Mount Rushmore National Memorial is only a half hour drive away.
All rooms include:
- High-speed internet
- Luxury pillow-top beds
- HD TV
- Traditional Guest Rooms – Minimalist and comfortable rooms decorated with historic charm. Features either one double bed or two full beds.
- Executive Suites – Spacious and peaceful suites featuring a sitting area, complimentary WiFi and impeccable décor. Choose from a Junior, Chairman, Family or Executive Suite.
- Presidential Suite – The name for this suite is perfectly apt, given the hotel’s reputation for having hosted six U.S. Presidents. These suites feature two bedrooms – one with a king bed, the other with a double bed – a sitting area, a full kitchen, and panoramic views of Rapid City.
Vertex Sky Bar – Located on the top two levels of the hotel, this stylish bar offers phenomenal views of the Black Hills from its floor-to-ceiling windows. Treat yourself to a sumptuous menu of craft cocktails, salads, entrees and desserts.
Opening times: Monday-Thursday 4pm-12am, Friday & Saturday 4pm-2am, Sunday 4pm-12am.
Paddy O’Neill’s – Get a taste of old-world Irish charm blended with the welcoming vibe of a neighbourhood tavern. This is the perfect spot to tuck in to a mix of Irish favourites and American classics, all the while enjoying great live entertainment.
Opening times: Monday-Sunday 11am-2am.
- Chubby Chipmunk – Located in the lobby, this small eatery will tempt you in with their hand dipped chocolates. Having been featured in the gift baskets at the 2013 Grammy Awards, these delicious treats would be perfect as a souvenir, or just as a snack for yourself.
- Starbucks – Located just off the lobby, this chain café has all the usual Starbucks favourites.
- Fitness room
- AJ’s Wicked Salon & Spa