California General Information
Whatever you think you know about California is absolutely correct, and then some. The constant sunshine that basks the state in a golden glow, the Hollywood glamour, the innovative cities and the uber-healthy lifestyle are a reality that you’ll find it hard to tear yourself away from. California is home to some big names – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Napa Valley, Yosemite – and, as a result, you’ll find a diverse landscape here that’s entirely intoxicating.
Los Angeles is the most common association, a destination that seems to be high-achieving in almost every category, from looks, landmarks and culture to its sheer size. This vibrant, health-conscious city is a magnet for models, actors and singers; celeb-spotting is practically an activity in itself. But there’s more to LA than just the locals; there’s the food culture, the shopping malls and the beaches.
California’s second major city is San Francisco – a melting pot of a city that makes for a liberal and welcoming environment. A slender region of the northern Californian coast, San Francisco is really beautiful and a slight change from what you’d expect from this state – more cultured, a cooler climate and charming quirks which punctuate the landscape.
Of course, you can’t talk about California without mentioning the topography – there is a rugged side to this destination that will appeal to those in search of outdoor pursuits. Yosemite National Park, the Central Coast and the redwood-lined North Coast all play host to some beautiful natural wonders. Rolling hillsides and jagged mountains intersect the coastline for a really beautiful combination of cityscapes, palm-studded deserts and fertile national parks.
Five reasons to visit California
- The diversity of the landscape is a real draw, with a blend of beaches, cities, national parks and iconic attractions to explore.
- The weather - it's consistently amazing. California has around 290 days of sunshine each year, so your travelling window is a lot more flexible if it's the classic Californian sunshine you're hoping for during your stay.
- There's a great choice in terms of holiday types you could opt for here - why not take part in a beach break, a self-drive holiday or an escorted tour where you can take in the very best sights?
- The food - it's varied, fresh and delicious. Californian people really value the local produce that grows around them and that's represented in the diverse selection of cuisines which use organic and local ingredients.
- The nightlife is fantastic, particularly in places like Los Angeles, Malibu and San Francisco.