Laguna Niguel beach holidays
With an enviable climate, reminiscent of the Mediterranean, and a whole host of well-known local communities, including: Dana Point, Laguna Beach and Laguna Hills, it’s no surprise why Laguna Niguel is one of the top places to visit on the California sunshine trail.
Laguna Beach, in particular, has had a plethora of well-known residents at one time or another and from Charlie Chaplin and Bette Davis to Stephen Colletti and Lauren Conrad, the mansions and condominiums of Orange County tell you just how sought after this area really is.
If you’re looking to check out the glamour, art, culture and, of course, some of the best beaches of southern California then this is an excellent place to start and below is what you’ll discover once you finally arrive in paradise.
Expect to find over six miles of white sand shoreline pitted with isolated coves, look-out points and laid-back artisan communities. The tranquillity is protected from jet-skis and speed boats and as such you’ll find plenty of pockets of resting wildlife, including: seals, sea lions and visiting dolphins, who all call the area home.
There are some incredible hotels and mansions for hire in Laguna and if you’re looking for five-star luxury overlooking some of the most amazing views of the Pacific then right here’s where you find them. Aside from the first-class accommodation (such as the Ritz Carlton) there are also plenty of holiday lets and cheaper options in town so make sure you shop around.
Things to do
You’ll discover a whole heap of hikes, trails and bus rides to take you right into the hills and Heisler Park, in particular, has some excellent views and picnic spots. Wine tasting, art galleries and California’s oldest museum are perfect for culture vultures and you can also see the locations from MTV’s Laguna Beach if you’re into culture of a different kind. Kayaking, skim-boarding and snorkelling are all great for enjoying the ocean and once you’ve got dried off there are loads of restaurants and beach bars to watch the waves.
Places to see
Seal Rock is brilliant if you’re into seal and sea lion spotting although, the Pacific Marine Mammal Centre can get you up just that little bit closer. The Laguna Playhouse has been continually operating longer than any other theatre in the county and the art museum showcases American culture and its influences in an outstanding permanent exhibition.
Claim to fame
Aside from being the home to John Steinbeck, Mickey Rooney and Rudolph Valentino, Laguna Beach was regarded as one of America’s meccas for lovers of alternative lifestyles back in the sixties and early seventies and still regards itself as a spiritual home for naturists and artists alike. In modern times it’s become more synonymous with the MTV reality show however, the natural beauty and emphasis on environmental issues far outweigh the longevity of the TV stars.
Discover the best of California's coastal holidays with these recommended hotel beach stays
California Travel Guides
- Useful Facts
- A beginner's guide to California
- Top 10 things to do in California
- Road tripping coastal California
- Exploring California’s Wine Country destinations
- Top 10 national parks in California
- Exploring the best hiking locations in California
- Top 10 most photogenic locations in California
- Explore the best film locations in California
- Top 10 most photogenic urban highlights in California
- Top 10 coastal towns in California
- Top 10 non-coastal towns in California
- Top 10 national monuments in California
- Top 10 things to do in Redwood National Park
- A beginner's guide to Death Valley National Park
- A beginner's guide to Joshua Tree National Park
- Laguna Niguel beach holidays
- Eating, Drinking & Nightlife
- Things To Do and Excursions
- Santa Monica beach holidays
- Top 10 things to do in Palm Springs
- Top 10 things to do in Los Angeles