Washington D.C. General Information
Washington D.C. – it may not have once been the first place you’d think of in terms of rowdy bars, wild events, or mind-blowing nightlife. But don’t consider D.C. limited in terms of appeal – that’s not what you come to this charming city for. The soul of the city is found in its proud heritage and history; in its friendly and cerebral population; and in its prevalent culture of museums, art and architecture. And where you go during your stay determines how much of the real Washington you really see. Most people flock Downtown to the Smithsonian museums and The Mall; to the White House and the Kennedy Center – sure, they’re valuable and worthwhile attractions, but this city is built on so much more.
Over the past few decades, D.C. has forged itself a new reputation for being a culinary metropolis, a fun shopping destination, and host to some trendy clubs and bars. Head west for the upmarket side to the city, where gourmet fine dining comes as standard and colonial architecture can be found on every corner. Journey east and you’ll venture into lesser known territory of quirky neighbourhoods and interesting attractions. North Central is the most exciting and contemporary part of the city, where the university culture has forged a new wave of boutique shops, quaint hotels and a vibrant nightlife.
The climate, if you can avoid the humid summer months, is wonderful. Balmy spring brings with it the picturesque cherry blossoms and budding trees, and in autumn you can see D.C. in all of its bronzed glory. And in winter, a cold breeze is counteracted with bright blue skies. It’s a cliché to say there’s something for everyone here but, when you get past the stereotypes, there really is.
Five reasons to visit Washington D.C.
- Foodies will love the fine dining offerings dotted around the city, where you can find innovative menus and intimate eateries to while away the hours in.
- The architecture is superb and there are so many attractions here to explore – including some of the most famous buildings in the world
- Cherry blossoms in the spring transform this sometimes stoic landscape into picture-worthy fare
- The nightlife, though not exactly raucous, is great and there are some really lovely bars where you can relax with a drink and chat to the locals
- There are a number of opportunities to take in the sights of Washington D.C. on a tour to some of the US’ other fantastic destinations, from New York to Boston and Philadelphia.