Midtown General Information
Midtown, New York is commonly defined as the area south of 59th Street, east of the Hudson River, and west of the East River. It is the main business district and busy at all times of the day and night, as it is also home to Times Square which is the centre of the theatre district. Most of New York’s sky scrapers are found here, as are most of the big retail shops.
Things to do
In just a few blocks, you can watch the world go by on the ground in Times Square or from the sky atop the Empire State Building. Visit the kind of places which you more readily see in movies such as the Rockefeller Center, Grand Central Terminal and the United Nations. You can shop until you drop in the huge variety of big name stores on Fifth Avenue or try the smaller pop-up ones for something different. Indulge in a Broadway show, see a classical concert at Carnegie Hall, eat at any one of the family restaurants in the area or go upmarket and eat at '21' Club or Le Bernardin. Midtown is where the visitor usually stays, is fed and entertained, so you will find a great deal on offer.
- Try a pastrami and corned beef sandwich from a local deli
- Eat a hot pretzel from the street vendor on the corner
- Visit a show on Broadway (get tickets first – they sell out, just as they do anywhere!)
- Shop until you drop in iconic stores such as Bloomingdale's, Barneys New York and FAO Schwarz
- Visit the museum of modern art
- If you’re a devotee of Dorothy Parker or just want to soak up the historical literary associations of a previous era, take Cocktails in the Algonquin hotel.
When to go
New York is buzzing for most of the year but during July and August lots of residents flee the heat and take off to Martha’s Vineyard and the beaches so weekends in the city are less busy. There are lots of outdoor events in the summer. Spring and Autumn are great times to visit the parks and it’s not so stifling – winter is for skating and shopping!
Planning a holiday to New York in 2014?
Planning a trip to New York in 2014? American Sky has all the experience necessary to help you plan your ideal break. Call our specialists today and make the most of your next holiday.